-HEHS--2010 -3A,3B,3C -
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whole of his well known letters to Mr. Hartlib

Go down

whole of his well known letters to Mr. Hartlib Empty whole of his well known letters to Mr. Hartlib

Post by nuretry Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 pm

whole of his well known letters to Mr. Hartlib

But I would farther ask those persons who conceive that " Scnpture and tradition taken together, are the loint ruie oi iaun." wnetner tnev cio not oeiieve tne true unurcn is " mint unon trie foundation 01 tne avosties aiio prowler. Jesus unnst nimseit oeine tnecmei corner stone r" And it they admit this, then I would inquire is not every doctrine necessary for a Christian to know,revealed m the writings of the apostles and prophets ? Christ and his apostles condemned those who rested on human traditions instead of the Old Testament: and if this was spoken with reference to the books of Moses and the prophets, it is true a fortiori of the canon of the Old and New Testament together. Certain modes and Tory Burch Reva Flats forms in themselves not essential and so not explicitly laid down, but left open in the Bible, may be fairly referred to tradition ; but this is an entirely different thing from basing on it articles of faith. " We look," says Mede, " alter tne rorms. rues, ana aiscimine oi antiauitv. and endeavour to bring our Tory Burch Outlet own as near as we can to that pattern but the extreme care of this learned writer witn remira to runaamentats. appears tnrouznout cue whole of his well known letters to Mr. Hartlib. I mention Mede, because the writer of the Catena Patrum has quoted him in his favor, with the same infelicity which mams ms cnoice or several oteer autnors. Jtie nan oetter listen to Mr. Mede's observation on Truth and consider it well: I cannot believe that truth can be preluaicea dv tne aiscoverv or trutn ; nut i rear mm tne maintenance or trutn m rauacv ma? not ma m a messing' With regard to tradition, the Romanists are Diacea in tnis auemma: dv tnem tradition is maae to suppiy tee aerects. as tnev sav. 01 acrinture. ana ocrinture is made to supply the defects of tradition ; but Tory Burch Sale both are undermined by the interpreting authority of the Church ! Neither Scripture nor tradition have weight with them but by that authoritythat is. Tory Burch Flats they believe nocnins? out tnemseives i 11 our uxrora writers are not very careful indeed, they will soon find that they are in a similar difficulty, out of which it is to be wished that thev mm nna a nappv c on. Dv revertincr to the good old principles which make the Bible the only foun(lation of every article of faith.

nuretry

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum